Houlder has a growing reputation for pipe laying equipment. The Reel Skidding…
Pin Pile Internal Lifting Tool
Houlder’s Pile Internal Lifting Tool (ILT) aids the safe installation of sub-sea pin piles using the vessel’s main crane. Used from a fixed jack up or floating vessel to install pin-piles into a pre-deployed pin pile template.
The internal lifting tool increases safety during installation by reducing manual intervention. It’s weight has also been minimised in order to maximise the operational flexibility of the system.
Houlder’s design will conform to all relevant design codes required by Van Oord in the ITT document. Specifically the following codes for lifting equipment:
• ISO 9001 Certification
• DNV 2.22 Lifting Appliances
• Lifting Equipment Compliance Certification Operations Manual
The main design specifications of the internal lifting tool are listed below:
• The tool engages with the inside of the pin pile, using friction through a hydraulically actuated mechanical mechanism.
• Fitted while pile is horizontal then allows for vertical installation
• Depending on client’s specification, the weight of tool is approximately 30t
• It ensures that the pin pile is not overstressed for any temporary load cases throughout its operation
• It can be safely and repeatedly submerged in seawater to deploy the pin piles
• It can be remotely operated (electronic control system) for engagement/disengagement to/from the pin pile.
• The internal lifting tool provides the remote operator with confirmation that the tool is and that the lifting operation is safe to commence.
• If required, Houlder can incorporate two (2) mounted subsea cameras
• It is inherently safe in as much that it would not lose the load should power be terminated from the tool or whilst there is any load born by the tool.
• It has an integrated power supply and contain a secondary means of operation should the primary controls and or power system fail.
• The tool provides sufficient protection on areas that physically interface with the pile structure, such that the tool not cause any form of damage which may affect the performance of the pin pile.
• It is supplied with certified lifting accessories required for the operation of the tool (including lifting accessories to connect to the hook of the crane).
The system is made up of the following main items and components;
• Main structural body
• Actuation Mechanism (8)
• Actuator (4)
• Location Guide
• Insertion Guide
• Wide Body Shackle
• Endless Sling (not shown)
Houlder supply a containerised solution to sea fasten the tool to the deck of the nominated vessel.
Due to the tool’s modular design, the equipment can be easily modified to interface with other pin pile diameters, as required for future projects. A series of different friction pad spacers can be provided to fit the new internal diameter of the pin pile.
All other major components (shackles, lifting wires, hydraulics, control systems etc.) would remain unchanged.
This provides an effective, low cost remobilisation option and also provides the benefit of increasing the tool’s operational flexibility. Houlder would be happy to provide an additional price for such an option if and when further details are known.